Baby Steps to Jesus

Baby Steps to Jesus

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Why Do Catholics Genuflect?

    You know that awkward moment before Mass when you enter the pew..."do I genuflect? My parents do it, so should I?" When I was younger, I didn't know why I should genuflect, so I didn't. But now, I know, and it's a doozie...and you're gonna learn today.
    First, let's think about the other times someone would be on one knee. Two that come to mind are being knighted and proposing. Both of these represent "something greater." When knighted, you are committing to living a chivalrous and honorable life. When proposing, you are committing your life to help get your bride closer to Christ by sacrificing certain desires. The knee represents strength. When you bend a knee, you are relinquishing your strength.
    A common misconception is that we genuflect to the altar; that's not true. We bow to the altar to recognize the scarce that happens on it, but we do not owe our lives to an altar. But who do we? Christ. And Christ is in the Eucharist which resides in the tabernacle. God gave us life and want's us to live it to the fullest. Not a life of mediocracy, but a life of greatness.
    So when we genuflect, it is a physical sign of saying "God, everything I am, is because of you. Everything I have, you gave me. I give you control of my life. Give me the desire to be awesome."
    That's why we genuflect. So next time you walk into the church and genuflect, silently say the quote above, and for the love of God (literally) please own it. Don't try to speed through genuflecting...you look like an unconfident goon #SorryNotSorry

No comments:

Post a Comment