Baby Steps to Jesus

Baby Steps to Jesus

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Procrastinators Unite...Tomorrow

     Don’t put off until tomorrow what can be accomplished today. If I had to give a dollar every time I said “I’ll do it later,” I’d have to file for bankruptcy. As I put things off, I notice a bigger and bigger pile of things to do. It brings a lot more anxiety and chaos into my life. So why do I do it? Simple, it’s selfishness. When I don’t do the things I’m supposed to do, because I’d rather be doing something else; I’m putting my wants before anyone else’s (including God and my future self’s wants).
Do you suffer with this procrastination issue, too? How can we fix this? For me, I’m a very task oriented person. So at night, I try to make a list of what I need to get done tomorrow. When tomorrow arrives, those are the tasks I need to get done before I can do anything else. When you pray that night, tell God what you did and didn’t do.
     What if these tasks aren’t accomplished? Should there be a consequence? For example, if I get caught up on social media, my consequence should be doing my work at the kitchen table where my family can easily see my screen. If that doesn’t work, I turn off the Wi-Fi. If that doesn’t work, I go to pen and paper. The point is to take away whatever is distracting you. If you can’t take it away, give it to someone to keep until your tasks are completed.
     To help this issue, create long-term goals so that you are always striving for something. Example: I want to be in better shape. Right now I can run a 7:10 mile and rep 140lbs on bench. “Better shape” doesn’t set a specific goal because running a mile in 7:09 and benching 145lbs after six months could mean “better shape.” To make my goal more specific, it is to get down to a 6:15 minute mile and rep 175lbs by June 18th. I have short-term goals like check points to see if I am on target or should ramp up the workouts to accomplish my long-term goal.
     Don’t fall into the trap of saying “I’ll do it later.” Get it done today and you will have an easier tomorrow.


2 comments:

  1. ARE CREED BOOKS GOD'S WORD?-by steve finnell

    Creed books used in most Christian denominations are the authoritative book used as the final authority in faith and practice. The question is should creed books be the final authority or should the Scriptures be only the word of authority and the final word?

    Are creed books Scripture? Are creed books the inerrant word of God? Are creed books written by God or are they composed by men?

    CAN YOU USE THE WORD CREED BOOK AND SCRIPTURE INTERCHANGEABLY?

    2 Timothy 3:16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness,(NKJV)

    Would is be accurate to translate 2 Timothy 3:16 All Creed books are given by inspiration of God....? Of course not, man-made creed books are not Scripture.

    John 2:22 Therefore,when He had risen from the dead, His disciples remembered that He said this to them; and they believed the Scripture and the word which Jesus had said.(NKJV)

    Jesus never quoted from the man-made creed books of the scribes, Sadducees or Pharisees. Man-made creeds were not a tool Jesus use to teach the truth.

    Acts 8:30-38.....35 Then Philip open his mouth, and beginning at this Scripture, preached Jesus to him.....(NKJV)

    Philip use the Scripture to preach to the eunuch. He did not use a creed book filled with the opinions of men.

    Jesus, the apostles, deacons, and all Christians mention in the Bible taught from the Scriptures, they did not use man-made creed books.


    CREED BOOKS ARE NOT SCRIPTURES. THEY ARE NOT THE INERRANT WORD OF GOD.


    YOU ARE INVITED TO FOLLOW MY BLOG. http://steve-finnell.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard of a "Creed Book" other than Assassin's Creed Book Series. I'm assuming you're talking about a religion having a creed. For example, Catholics use the Nicene Creed...but, it's all scripture (as shown below).

      I believe in one God, (Mark 12:29, 12:32, Ephesians 4:6)
      the Father almighty, (2 Corinthians 6:18)
      maker of heaven and earth, (Genesis 1:1, Revelation 4:11)
      of all things visible and invisible. (Colossians 1:16, Hebrews 11:3)

      I believe in one Lord Jesus Christ, (1 Corinthians 8:6, Ephesians 4:5)
      the Only Begotten Son of God, (John 3:16)
      born of the Father before all ages. (Colossians 1:15, 1:17)
      God from God (John 1:1-2),
      Light from Light, (John 1:4, 1:9, 2 Corinthians 4:6, Hebrews 1:3)
      true God from true God, (1 John 5:20)
      begotten, not made, (John 1:14)
      consubstantial with the Father; (cf. 1 John 1:5 & John 8:12)
      through him all things were made. (John 1:3, 1:10, Colossians 1:16, 1 Corinthians 8:6, Romans 11:36, Hebrews 1:10)
      For us men and for our salvation (Matthew 1:21, 1 Thessalonians 5:9, Colossians 1:13-14)
      he came down from heaven, (John 3:13, 3:31, 6:38)
      and by the Holy Spirit was incarnate of the Virgin Mary, (Luke 1:34-35)
      and became man. (John 1:14, Hebrews 2:14)

      For our sake he was crucified (1 Peter 2:24) under Pontius Pilate, (Mark 15:15)
      he suffered death (Matthew 27:50) and was buried, (Matthew 27:59-60)
      and rose again on the third day (Mark 9:31, 16:9, Acts 10:40)
      in accordance with the Scriptures. (Luke 24:45-46, 1 Corinthians 15:3-4)
      He ascended into heaven (Acts 1:9)
      and is seated at the right hand of the Father. (Mark 16:19, Luke 22:69)
      He will come again in glory (Mark 13:26, John 14:3, 1 Thessalonians 4:17)
      to judge the living and the dead (Matthew 16:27, 2 Corinthians 5:10, 2 Timothy 4:1, 1 Peter 4:5)
      and his kingdom will have no end. (Hebrews 1:8, 2 Peter 1:11)

      I believe in the Holy Spirit (Acts 1:8), the Lord, the giver of life, (John 6:63, 2 Corinthians 3:6)
      who proceeds from the Father (John 15:26) and the Son, (John 16:7)
      who with the Father and the Son is adored and glorified, (2 Corinthians 3:8)
      who has spoken through the prophets. (1 Peter 1:10-11, Ephesians 3:5)

      I believe in one (Ephesians 4:4), holy (Ephesians 1:4, 5:27), catholic (Matthew 28:19, Acts 1:8) and apostolic (Ephesians 2:20) Church (Matthew 16:18, Romans 12:4-5, 1 Corinthians 10:17).
      I confess one baptism (Ephesians 4:5, Galatians 3:27, 1 Corinthians 12:13) for the forgiveness of sins (Colossians 2:12-13, Acts 22:16)
      and I look forward to the resurrection of the dead (Romans 6:4-5, 1 Thessalonians 4:16)
      and the life of the world to come (2 Peter 3:13, Revelation 21:1). Amen.


      http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80229

      God bless

      Delete