Baby Steps to Jesus

Baby Steps to Jesus

Thursday, December 29, 2016

I'm With Her

    Happy New Year!!! As a Church, January 1st we always celebrate Mary, Mother of God. Mary was the epitome of womanhood. She was holy, strong, confident, humble, and loving just to name a few. God chose her to raise the Savior of the world...and she accepted by saying "I am the handmaid of the Lord, be it done to me according to thy word."
    As God's choice of his mother, I'm guessing Mary knew her scriptures exceptionally well. With that statement she willingly signed up to witness the Hebrew Scripture's (Old Testament) prophecies of her son first hand. These prophesies include, but not limited to, betrayed, spat on, ridiculed, beaten, crucified with criminals, hated without cause, and more. I repeat, Mary said yes knowing this would happen! MOST COURAGEOUS PERSON EVER!!! How many times do you think Mary would be outside watching her son play and think about all these prophecies? It's hard enough losing a parent. I couldn't fathom knowing that my son's days were numbered until he would experience one of the most painful deaths in order to save the souls of those who caused him the pain.
    When Jesus saw his mother and the disciple there whom he loved, he said to his mother, “Woman, behold, your son. Then he said to the disciple, “Behold, your mother.” John 19:26-27
    Jesus called his mother "woman" two times. Scholars believe that he is referring to Mary as "the New Eve." Eve was looked at as the mother of the human race. John was a disciple of Christ. Scholars believe that what Jesus is conveying in this passage is that we (followers of Christ) are to care and respect Mary and she is to care and protect us.
    Mary isn't God...but she is the Mother of God. I don't know about you, but I listen to my mother. When I don't reply to my accountant, she tells my mom to have me contact her...and I do. So if you get the sense that God isn't listening, tell his mother ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment