Baby Steps to Jesus

Baby Steps to Jesus

Wednesday, February 24, 2016

One Way To Hear God

    So you know you need to pray, but you're sick of just saying the "Our Father," "Hail Mary," and "Glory Be..." over and over again...but you don't know how to pray on your own. Don't worry, I've got a personalized prayer for you whenever you need it.
    First, Grab a Bible (Bible apps work). Then I need you to ask God to give you a number, 1-150. Once you have that number, turn to that Psalm and read it as a prayer (slowly).
    God wants to tell us things, but hearing God's voice often takes patience. And if his voice is not familiar to us, it gets lost in the noise. In seminary I would pray with the Psalms. I called it Bible Roulette. You can also open Bible Roulette to books such as Sirach, Proverbs, Wisdom, and the New Testament.
    Bible Roulette has gotten me through many challenges in my life. One night a few years ago, my parents were getting on my nerves (more than usual). That night, I went to a quiet place to pray. I asked God to give me something to help me with my parents. He put Sirach 7:27-28 on my heart. 
    "With your whole heart honor your father; your mother's birth pangs forget not. Remember, of these parents you were born; what can you give them for all they gave you?" I had a good laugh and was good with my parents ever since...because God reminded me that I owe them my life. God has things that he wants to tell you, if you can't hear what he's telling you, you can read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment